Westglen School — 1940
10950 127 Street
Designed by: Rule Wynn and Rule Architects
Westglen School, originally Westglen High School in Westmount was built to alleviate school crowding in Edmonton during the early stages of World War II. A building permit was issued on July 6, 1940 and the official opening was held on November 30, 1940, officiated by A.E. Ottewell, Chair of the Edmonton Public School Board, and Dr. G. Fred McNally, Deputy Minister of the Department of Education. The opening program described the school as a “beauteous streamlined edifice” with the “latest developments of education for this continent.”
Westglen School is an excellent example of the Moderne Style of architecture and is typified by the balanced weaving of vertical and horizontal compositions, the use of clean horizontal lines, flat roofs, stucco cladding, horizontal emphasis in the window design and continuous perimeter horizontal stucco bands with additional ‘speed lines’ at the corners and articulated v-shaped stucco-clad buttresses ‘supporting’ the gymnasium.